Have you ever wanted to be able to reach out and connect with people from the comfort of your home or office but weren’t sure where to start?
This blog post will change everything for you. I am going to share step-by-step how we took a planning workshop live to the web and had a fantastic experience using YouTube Live Events.
I even recorded this message for you using the steps below. Watch it, then scroll down to get all the details you need to learn to use Youtube Live Events to broadcast yourself!
Step One: Prepare Your Set
You need to prepare your set for your Live Event. Your lighting and your web camera make all the difference in how you appear during the event.
This is the picture taken in my office with the lights on and my computer webcam. I have a brand new, iMac so the webcam isn’t old and should be pretty good. As you can see, it is dark and not the best quality.
This second picture is taken in my office with my softbox lights on and using a Logitech 1080p HD webcam . Lighting and a good camera can make a huge difference in terms of how people see you and experience your Live Event online.
Next up on the equipment front, we used a Blue Yeti Microphone , so the audio sounded fabulous. The one thing people often overlook is audio but if you think about it, most people will watch crappy looking video if the audio is good, but no one ever watches a great video with poor audio.
Step Two: How to Get Started
1. Log into Google and go to YouTube.
2. Click on the far right icon (which is your profile picture) and then select Creator Studio.
3. Click on Live Streaming (left hand side of screen). If this is your first time in here, you will need to click on “Enable Live Streaming”. If not and you are already enabled and verified, skip to #5.
4.Verify Your Account by entering your mobile number for a text or, you can have the system send you an automated phone call. Then, enter the code sent to you and, once verified, click on “I Agree for the terms and conditions”.
5. Click on Events, and then in the upper right corner of your screen click on “New Live Event”.
6. Add a title for your event and make your live event public, unlisted, or private. Note, I make my events unlisted so that I can share the link with the people I want to view. If you select public, anyone can view. If you select private, they must access via their YouTube account using their email address for verification.
NOTE: While you’re just trying this out, leave it on “Today” and “Now” – when you get the hang of this for future events you can add the date, start-time, and end-time as part of this step so you can set up your live streams ahead of time.
7. Click on go live now.
8. Click on OK.
9. If you have never done a hangout before, say yes to any permission requests Google might have until your screen shows you something like this! Note you will see YOU, not me on the screen
10. Before you press Start Broadcast, here are a couple tips:
- Click on settings which is the second last icon on the top beside the red phone icon and adjust your mic, camera and audio settings.
- If you want to invite someone to join you, select the head icon from the top row of icons, the first one on the far left. You can just copy and paste the permanent link to invite them to join you, or you can add names and send an email invite. Once you copy the link, press close to make this screen disappear, or invite if you choose that option.
11. Once you check all of those items off, you are ready to press Start Broadcast. This is important because if you don’t, you won’t record the Live Event and no one else on the broadcast will see or hear you!
12. When you are done, press stop the broadcast and then click the red x at the top left corner of the screen to close things down.
13. To find your video, go back to the creator studio on YouTube, go to Live Events, and use the drop down button beside the word “View” to find your completed recording.
14. You should see your video and once it has completed uploading, you can click on your video and share the link with anyone you want to view, or embed the video onto your website, share on social media sites etc.
Was this helpful?
Do you see yourself doing this type of thing? Please leave a comment below and let me know.
Now that I have this awesome tool, I can’t wait to announce my new group coaching program! We will be using this platform, and keeping the groups to a limit of six so that people can really get the support they need to succeed.
Want to know more about coaching with me? Please reach out, I would love to share!
Founder and CEO of the Lisa Larter Group, master strategist, author, speaker, podcast host, social media expert, consultant, and business coach. Lisa inspires entrepreneurs and business owners to see the possibilities for their organizations when it comes to strategy. She uncomplicates modern marketing and creates (and implements) strategies for businesses that are guaranteed to increase visibility, inbound leads, and revenue.