Have you ever caught yourself thinking “I have no business being in charge of this business. I’m not a REAL business person.”
I bet you have because I have heard it multiple times from my own clients. I have something really important to tell you:
There are only people running businesses and there are as many different people and approaches as there are businesses.
If you want to be a successful person running a business, I’ve got great news for you. You can LEARN how to do this.
Businesses operate on a whole bunch of simple principles that you can learn and apply right now.
Here are seven that are near and dear to my heart:
1. Business is an exchange of money for a product or service. It’s not about trading four quarters for a dollar and it certainly isn’t about giving away your products or services for free.
2. Your business is a separate entity from you as a person. Although you may pour your blood, sweat and tears into your business, the success of your business does not reflect back to the success or failure of you as a person.
3. You must sell your product or service and keep more money than you spend to run a profitable business. Selling is NOT a bad thing. You don’t go into Walmart and expect to walk out without paying so why should your business be any different?
4. Business have systems and processes – ways that they operate. The clearer these are crystallized and communicated in your business, the better chance you have for success and growth. When you just wing it, you cannot duplicate what you just did over and over again and measure the impact. Document your processes and create systems for everything. It will keep your customers and your employees happy.
5. Measurements of sales, expenses, profit and cash-flow are how you determine the success of your business. Not by the number of likes on your Facebook page. You cannot take likes to the bank and pay off your mortgage, but you can do that with the profits in your business.
6. Selling is a requirement of any business. You cannot exchange goods and services for money unless someone pays you money. You must sell your products and services to your customer in order to get paid that money. Selling is a skill, a NOBLE skill that can be learned and it does NOT mean you are evil and bad. It’s not selling that makes a person bad, it is the person themselves that does this. STOP letting your mindset around sales keep you broke.
7. Marketing is a function of selling. It is how you let your customer know about your product and service. If you don’t know how to sell – marketing is a waste of time. It is like putting the cart before the horse and then wondering why you are not getting anywhere.
The success of your business is not based on you being a Business Person, it is based on your willingness and desire to learn and be disciplined enough to apply what you learn.
There are millions of business books out there that you can read. There are thousands of programs you can buy and hundreds and thousands of coaches you can hire.
I want you to take the first step and be the owner of a business that knows how to measure what matters, how to create content that will help you to sell, and to actually learn how to sell. Join me in The Pilot To Profit Program and I will teach you.
You can be the successful person who operates your business if you want to be.
In this video I talk more about the art of selling and give you some tips to maximize your sales opportunities. Watch and then tell me….what was the first thing you ever sold?
Founder and CEO of the Lisa Larter Group, master strategist, author, speaker, podcast host, social media expert, consultant, and business coach. Lisa inspires entrepreneurs and business owners to see the possibilities for their organizations when it comes to strategy. She uncomplicates modern marketing and creates (and implements) strategies for businesses that are guaranteed to increase visibility, inbound leads, and revenue.